Friday, April 25, 2014

ALBUM REVIEW - Vampire Weekend: Modern Vampires of the City


I always look forward to Rolling Stone's annual edition of naming their favorite songs and albums of the year. This year, an interesting choice stood on top of the list - above Arcade Fire's Reflektor, Lorde's Heroine, Arctic Monkey's AM and 47 other albums from the likes of Daft Punk, Kanye West, Pearl Jam, and Sir Paul McCartney - was the third studio album from Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City.

Sure, I knew a bit about Vampire Weekend at the time. I knew they were an indie band that all met while attending Columbia University and had so much success as a college band that it carried over to a music career. And I mean who doesn't love the songs "A Punk" or "Oxford Comma?" - but I was shocked to see them receive album of the year recognition from Rolling Stone.

But such a coveted statement could not be ignored, and I had to purchase the album and give it a try. My reaction - Rolling Stone may have been spot on! Front man Ezra Koenig and his three backing band members put together one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

As I sit down to write this review, I'm realizing this may be the most difficult post I have yet to create. Not because I lack knowledge on the band, but simply because it is so difficult to describe this music. Definitely in the alternative category, Vampire Weekend seems to combine punk rock with toe tapping guitar riffs, African drum beats, and even a full orchestra section at times. It's very complex.

The album abruptly opens with "Obvious Bicycle," setting a very chill tone while telling the story of a man contemplating not shaving because he can't find a job regardless. You then have the first single, "Unbelievers," which uses a great drum beat and a more poppy chorus to up the tempo of the album.

My personal favorite is "Step," a smooth song that Koenig sounds very old-fashioned singing. The chorus is sung over a xylophone background with a catchy piano overplay. This song really displays the lyrical genius of Koenig. It's full of references to bands that Vampire Weekend has crossed paths with (there was even a twitter contest to solve the "Step" family tree), while also describing the fame this bands found with their second album, after having a more exclusive following for their debut.

You then have another standout, "Diane Young," which is simply a play on actually dying young. This one best displays the constant theme throughout the album - getting older, maturing, and dealing with the uncertainty of the future. Koenig sings, "nobody knows what the future hold, it's bad enough just getting old / You know I love the past, cause I hate suspense."

Other references:

  • Don't Lie: "I want to know, does it bother you - long click of the ticking clock."
  • Step: "Wisdom's a gift, but we trade it for youth / Age is an honor, but it's still not the truth."
  • Unbelievers: "I'm not excited, but should I be? / Is this the fate that half of the world had planned for me?"

One recommendation I have for listeners is to play this album in order, song by song as the band intended. I'm usually a "shuffler" of music myself, and will frequently go in order of spotify's top 10, but this album has excellent flow from one song to the next, creating an overall better listening experience. This is perfected as "Diane Young" flows flawlessly into "Don't Lie."

The back half of the album has plenty of excitement as well. "Finger Back" and "Worship You" will get everyone jumping at their live shows; "Ya Hey" and "Everlasting Arms" show off some interesting musical talent; "Hannah Hunt" is a slower one that builds up to a great final verse.

The only songs I'm not a fan of are the final two on the album, "Hudson" and "Young Lion." They're just ok, which on an album like this, makes them seem very out of place. That's the only thing that keeps this from being a 5 star album.

Overall, Modern Vampires of the City is difficult to describe but is delightful. It's worthy of the Grammy it received for Best Alternative Album, as well as the prestigious placement it was awarded by Rolling Stone. It's a must buy in my opinion. For all my Tampa followers, these guys headline Big Guava Festival next Saturday, May 3rd. Be there!

Album Rating: 4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment