Thursday, December 17, 2015

An Interview with Taylor Goldsmith of DAWES

Taylor Goldsmith, lead singer of Dawes, talks Festivals, Venues and even New Album

Last weekend, some friends and I travelled up to Atlanta for a Dawes concert. We've made the 7 hour drive to the ATL for Dawes before, and the trip was once again worth it. The folk rock band put on an epic performance for a sold out crowd at the Variety Playhouse. While all 5 members of the group are extremely musically gifted, the fuel of the band is lead singer and guitarist Taylor Goldsmith.

By lucky chance after the show, I ran into Goldsmith. The lyricist was heading back onto the tour bus about an hour after the venue had cleared out. He was happy to talk to a few fans though and it turned into an impromptu interview, offering some interesting insight into the band.

Here is an abbreviated and not officially quoted version of the interview:



ML: That was a great show! We drove up from Tampa for this and it was completely worth it! 

TG (Taylor Goldsmith): No way! Thanks for doing that. I appreciate you guys making the drive up here.

ML: No problem. We did the same thing back in 2013 for the Buckhead show. We don't mind, although it'd be nice to see you guys get to Tampa. 

TG: Yeah we need to get back to Florida. It's tough to work those stops into a tour schedule logistically. But I'm glad you guys were able to see us here. We're going to be back in Atlanta in April for Sweetwater Fest...I'm not supposed to announce that yet since the lineup hasn't been released, but you guys should come back for it.

ML: Wow, maybe we will. Any other festival plans for 2016? 

TG: Not sure yet. To be honest, I don't love playing festivals. Sure, the money is great, but we only get to play an hour long set and are performing for an audience that's only semi-engaged. I much prefer playing a club gig like we did tonight.

ML: I agree with you there. I prefer the club shows. 

TG: Plus I think we're going to head back to the studio in the spring and try to put out a new album for 2016. I'd really like to get into the routine of putting out one album per year.

ML: That would be great. I really love the new album. 

TG: Thanks. We'll see where 2016 goes.

ML: So the first time I saw you guys play a full set was at Gasparilla Music Fest in Tampa in 2013. I was hooked after that set. Any chance you'll be back at that festival?

TG: Which show was that again? (laughs)

ML: It's on the river in Tampa. Haha probably was in March of 2013. 

TG: Oh yeah. People ask me all the time about certain shows and I can never remember specifics (more laughs). But I do remember that show because Ozomatli was there. But no, we won't be there in 2016.

ML: Well no problem. Thanks again for a great show. 

TG: May all you favorite bands stay together. (Just kidding, he didn't say that last line....but it would have been appropriately awesome if he did)



1 comment:

  1. I went to this place in first time with my husband on Tuesday night after work. The inside of these party venues was quit big and had enough seats to sit and nice bar area. We had a few things, along with drinks and it was all good!

    ReplyDelete