Saturday, January 18, 2014

Let's Begin at the Beginning

Hello to all my readers and welcome to “The Only Music Blog.” This is my first entry in what I hope will become a regular thing. I hope you guys enjoy reading and please feel free to share your thoughts below at any time!

About Me:
My name is Mike and I am a young professional living in Tampa, Florida. I attended the University of Tampa and was fortunate enough to be hired by a great company upon graduating. I work for an event management organization that puts on world-class triathlon races. Some hobbies of mine include running, watching sports, and most importantly, being an avid music listener and concert attendee.

How this came about:
Simply put, I go to A LOT of concerts. I do not have exact numbers, but to put things in somewhat perspective, I attended close to 60 concerts in 2013, including some major festivals. I always enjoy talking about the shows I’ve seen, and voicing my opinion and encouraging others to attend those bands that really impressed me. Typically this was done in person or through brief reviews on twitter. (really more like one liners praising those that put on a great show) But 2014 is about raising the bar, so I hope this blog can expand my audience and educate my readers on new bands and must see acts.

Why now?
2 reasons. The first is that it is now 2014 and I’m about to see my first show of the year. (I’m writing this as I’m on route to Chicago for the weekend)…so this was the best place to start. I hope to continue my concert reviews throughout all of 2014. I have some great concert plans and am excited to share with you. I’m very lucky to live in a great destination like Tampa, as many bands elect to stop on tour here. Additionally, I should have 2-4 major festivals on the calendar for 2014 that should be absolutely epic!

Reason #2: This was a huge week for the music industry. Often called “Festival Revealing Week,” the third week of the year is when some major music festivals announce their lineup. It starts with Coachella, which put out a pretty strong lineup, and is followed by the revealing of festivals such as Hangout, Firefly, New Orleans Jazz Fest, and Shaky Knees. (I’ll have more info on these in my “Festival Power Rankings” in an edition to come) Now that these lineups are out, and those for Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza are within the 2-month outlook, the music industry is buzzing. With all the excitement this week, I thought it’d be the perfect time to debut.    

What you can expect?
First and foremost, I will use this to review all the concerts I see. I will make recommendations and tell you who is really worth paying to see. Additionally though, you may see any of the following – updates on what bands I’m liking, album reviews, concert outlooks, set list reviews and introductions of new bands. 

My Taste:
Tough to summarize, but I would say alternative rock fan that tends to stray to the indie / folk side. A few of my favorites include: Arcade Fire, Mumford and Sons, Third Eye Blind, Twenty One Pilots, Young the Giant, Dawes, Frank Turner, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Imagine Dragons upon many many others.

First Up:

A young rookie from England by the name of Jake Bugg. This is my first time seeing Jake live, and I’m quite glad it will be in a great music town like Chicago.  Taking place tomorrow night from the Riviera Theater. Next entry should be his review.   

No comments:

Post a Comment