Sunday, September 20, 2015

CONCERT REVIEW: Neon Trees and Coin


Back in July, during a concert weekend that also featured sets from Imagine Dragons and Vinyl Theatre, I took in a show at State Theatre in St. Pete. Performing was Neon Trees and Coin.

Opening up the night was young alternative rock group - Coin. the group currently has a top single in the alt community entitled 'Run.' It's generated some great recognition for their self titles debut album, released earlier this summer. I'm impressed by their sound. It's energetic and reminds me most of comparable Vinyl Theatre, who I saw that same weekend.

Check out their lead single. Video courtesy of their gig at the beloved Irving Plaza:



COIN SETLIST: (3 Star Performance)

1. I Would
2. Time Machine
3. Atlas
4. Holy Ghost
5. Better
6. Run
7. Fingers Crossed

Neon Trees:

Coin had the crowd warmed up nicely when the headliner took the stage. Neon Trees hail from Utah and have quite the impressive resume. Their lead radio singles 'Animal' and 'Everybody Talks' have received national attention over the years. They've seen their albums featured on Top 40 lists, and even spent a year opening up for The Killers.

The band's summer tour was entitled 'An Intimate Night with Neon Trees.' They played smaller venues in support of their third album Pop Psychology. I'm always a fan of seeing shows at State Theatre but I believe the real reason for the smaller venue was that the demand has just decreased. It's amazing to think they once played The Ritz in Ybor with Twenty One Pilots opening up for them.

The group sounded great though! Lead singer Tyler Glenn was chatty all night and showcased powerful vocals. The frontman joked about touring, meeting his boyfriend on Tinder, and the group's current single in 'Songs I Can't Listen To.' They really had the crowd into it and I can see how the band is known for their energy.

Overall, enjoyable set. My favorite moments were probably poppy '1983' and the always great cover of classic 'Come On Eileen.' I'd see these guys again.

Concert Rating: 3 Stars


SETLIST: 

1. Songs I Can't Listen To
2. Sins of My Youth
3. Your Surrender
4. In the Next Room
5. 1983
6. Animal
7. Moving in the Dark
8. Lessons in Love
9. Mad Love
10. Still Young
11. Love in the 21st Century
12. First Things First
13. Sleeping with a Friend
14. Everybody Talks

ENCORE:
15. Come On Eileen (Dexys Midnight Runners cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment