Thursday, May 14, 2015

Concert Review: Young the Giant a Bit Too Consistent


So while we're on the subject of Spring Concerts on College Campuses, (I just reviewed New Politics at FSC) let's take a look at USF's 'BullStock.' The annual spring festival featured a frequent visitor to Tampa in Young the Giant. (Most likely since their expected Spring Tampa gig was cancelled with Coastline Festival)

Now Young the Giant has received more face time on The Only Music Blog than nearly anyone else. I've reviewed their sophomore album in Mind Over Matter, and reviewed their shows at Jannus, Hammerstein Ballroom, HOB Chicago, and Next Big Thing last year. In total, I've seen them 9 times now, 6 of which have been in support of Mind Over Matter.

So I figured it's always a good show, so why not check it out again. I drive over to The Sundome parking lot and caught the end of American Authors before Young the Giant hit the stage.

Now I was expecting a similar set from Young the Giant from past shows. However, I was also hoping for some things to be a bit different. After all, they've been touring in support of Mind Over Matter for over a year, so I figured the setlist would have to change. Unfortunately, it displayed little to zero change.

The Irvine alt-rockers played nearly the same exact set from their 2014 gigs. Now don't get me wrong, it's all good music, but for me it's gotten a bit old and even boring. Even as a write this I'm so surprised as I never thought I could tire of this band and their live shows. However, the predictable setlist doesn't do anything for me when I know what's coming next. If a fan seeing repeat shows is bored, then the band must be super bored of playing that same set night after night.

I would have preferred maybe some other material from the groups first album, or perhaps a new tune or something different? I think one thing that makes the best bands so great is their ability to mix up the set and play a different gig every night (see Arcade Fire, Avett Brothers, and Foo Fighters here). It seems Young the Giant just aren't ready to get into that yet.

Sameer still sounded good, and with the predictable set came all the hits you would expect. They also performed a cover of R. Kelly's 'Remix to Ignition,' which I haven't seen live since spring of 2012. Other than that though, no real standouts. Usually I give the consistent Young the Giant 3 stars for their shows. I gotta dock them half a star here.

Concert Rating: 2.5 Stars




SETLIST: 
  1. Eros 
  2. (R. Kelly cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment